We visited Buzzfeed and picked out the 10 craziest facts about food that we think our visitors need to know about. Don’t just assume you know everything out there folks. After reading this, we feel a bit lied to about everything.
1. One fast food hamburger may contain meat from 100 different cows.
2. The red food-coloring carmine — used in Skittles and other candies — is made from boiled cochineal bugs, a type of beetle.
3. Castoreum, which is used as vanilla flavoring in candies, baked goods, etc., is actually a secretion from the anal glands of beavers. (Sidenote: That’s actually disgusting).
4. About 70% of olive oil being sold is not actually pure olive oil. (Sidenote: WTF)
5. Apples belong to the rose family, as do pears and plums.
6. Oklahoma’s state vegetable is the watermelon.
7. Pound cake got its name from its original recipe, which called for a pound each of butter, eggs, sugar, and flour.
8. The tea bag was created by accident, as tea bags were originally sent as samples.
9. Store bought 100% “real” orange juice is 100% artificially flavored.
10. There’s an enzyme in pineapple called bromelain that helps to break down proteins and can also ruin your tastebuds.